Monday, January 30, 2006

I Suspected it Wasn't an Allergy Sneeze

My daughter and her husband have done some mighty fine manners work with Charlotte and the result is a little girl that adults enjoy being around. She's still young enough to need reminders, but just because a kid needs a reminder doesn't mean that all that "excuse me? don't forget to say thank you, are you forgetting something?" isn't taking (even though it often feels that way to the parent). Basic manners just make the business of life a little bit easier.


Basic Manners 101

The Simple Stuff for the Early Years

Please.
We seem to be overly concerned at how the question is framed, i.e., using May instead of Can, but any request is always softened and pretty much always acceptable when Please is used. Keep gently reminding your child until it becomes habit.

Thank You. Just use it and people will choose to do more for you because of your graciousness. Keep gently reminding your child until it becomes habit.

Eye Contact. When you're speaking to someone, look at them. You don't have to stare them down, but let them know it's a conversation. Keep gently reminding your child until it becomes habit.

Hello/Acknowledgement. Seems pretty obvious, but when someone walks into a room, remind your children to acknowledge their presence. They don't have to leap to their feet, shake hands and fawn over the new arrival, just a smile or a hello is sufficient. Keep gently reminding your child until it becomes habit.

If those simple behaviors are taught, many doors will open for your child.

Colds

Coughing and Sneezing.
Just cover your mouth. Keep gently reminding your child until it becomes habit.

Runny Nose. Use a Tissue. Sometimes you have to use your sleeve, but use a tissue when you can. Keep gently reminding your child until it becomes habit.

Hand Washing. Just do it. You will be a lot healthier for it. Keep gently reminding your child until it becomes habit.

How do you teach this stuff to strangers? You don't. And so when I walked through a shop assistant's cough a week ago, I said an out loud DAMN! and pretty much knew that I would come down with a miserable cold a few days later, and I did.








5 Comments:

Blogger junebee said...

The "please" and "thank you" are fairly basic but I will remember the eye contact and acknowledgement ones too when the Branch and Blossom get older.

My mother always carries that waterless soap in her purse for grandchildren to use. I still question sneezing into a hand which may touch so many other things, even with a tissue, because sometimes a tissue doesn't catch it all. (Sometimes I sneeze into the shoulder of my garment because it's less likely that part will have contact with others.)

Sick people should definitely NOT be in public contact positions. The sad thing is, at least here in Florida, alot of companies do not allow sick days, so if people don't work, they don't get paid. Therefore, they often come to work sick because they can't afford to lose a day's pay.

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lin! Am I missing something here? The last word that I have been able to see for the last two days is 'thank-you'....after that there is a load of lines...

3:18 AM  
Blogger Lin said...

Bugger...do you think I have to get in touch with the Blogger folks? NO idea what's going on. I will do some fiddling this afternoon. I'll do a short posting, and hopefully that will be okay. When I open my blog with AOL I can see the lines, if I open through Firefox, it looks fine. Boring, but fine.

11:09 AM  
Blogger ramblingwoman said...

Thank you Lin for delurking yourself on my blog!

Wendy's are unrelated and the Wendy in my blog is not related to the school shenanigans! (well, I hope not!)

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bum.Still lines here. And I (think I) use Firefox...

Xo

12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home