Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Connections

I'm back. My bed feels soft and accommodating.

I miss my Mum. I miss my dear friends in Pembrokeshire. I miss being around Iolo and Baby Beti and I miss having a wireless internet connection.

Right now I'm on dial-up. Last night I had an hour conversation with a Charter tech in Asia. Where in Asia I'm not sure. When I asked him where he was he said, "Asia." He didn't like my attitude, either. He didn't like that I couldn't understand but every fifth word out of his mouth. When I asked him to speak more slowly, he pitched an attitude. He was walking me through some bullshit where I had to type nonsensical letters into command boxes. This is pretty much how he instructed me to type 'command go.'

C for Cincinnati
O for Oregano
M for Milwaukee
M for Macintosh
A for Anchorage
N for Nova Scotia
D for Dumb
O for Okeefenokee

Okay, I get it. You can speak English and I can't speak Hindi, but STOP IT. NOW!

That's when I started speaking so quickly that there was no way he could understand me. Yeah, I'm mature like that. He then had to keep asking me what I was saying. I suggested that we start over again and that if he didn't act like a pissed off 18 year old, I would pitch my pissed off menopausal routine. He didn't understand everything I said, but he did get the essence. We started over and got nowhere. So now I'm on dial-up until tomorrow when I will agree to pay Charter more money for a faster stronger connection (with a month to back out) and when I'll also begin to start seriously researching other options.

4 Comments:

Blogger gwendomama said...

thankgod you are back. i needed that laugh.
i am totally using that one. talking really fast. har.

we just had the att guy up to our house to fix a line. he said how sometimes HE has to call india...umm...asia..and then he gave us the private california number. i will share. because i am mature like that.

11:12 AM  
Blogger granny p said...

oh oh. You too in Pembrokeshire. Yeah it's a problem being PC around the call centre lot; you can't exactly say 'speak English please, can you?'...Glad you're back. Sorry we couldn't coincide.xx

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's baaaaaaaaaaack!

Lin! Get onto that wireless as soon as you can, life is way too short for dialup.


xxx!

5:23 AM  
Blogger junebee said...

I had my own run-in with Verizon's offshore technical support (at work, so I was at least getting paid to be aggravated).

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home