Sunday, July 03, 2005

Doonesbury Speaks

Let's face it, Garry Trudeau is good. Today's Doonesbury is also pretty bang-on. Just so we bloggers don't get any uppity ideas about who we are and what we write, here's today's comic, without pictures. Full credit to Mr. Trudeau.

Picture a radio studio. Mark is interviewing blogger, Slamz88...

Mark: I'm here chatting with blogger Slamz88 at the tail end of the media's fascination with blogging. Slamz88, let me throw you a blog-style hardball, if I may...

Slamz88: Let it fly, Mark!

Mark: Isn't blogging basically for angry, semi-employed losers who are too untalented or too lazy to get real jobs in journalism?

Slamz88: WHAT?!

Mark: I mean, if the market really valued what you have to say, wouldn't someone pay you for it?

Slamz88: Are you kidding? Advertisers are banging down our doors!

Mark: To reach whom? The fellow crackpots who have time to respond to your posts?

Slamz88: Yes! There are a lot of those "crackpots," as you call them! Millions of them!

Mark: Uh-huh. So what's your favorite flavor of cat food?

Slamz88: Well, Friskies makes a very tasty...what's your point?

For the record: The few people who read and respond to my blog are not crackpots...are you? And nobody's beating down my straw door to advertise.

4 Comments:

Blogger granny p said...

Lin, this is a little TOO near the bone.... happy Independence Day x

6:00 AM  
Blogger Katie Burke said...

How funny! That kind of feedback is akin to someone telling a visual artist, "You sell-out ... no one buys your art, so you paint anyway and distribute it on your own. LOSER."

I have heard this feedback before about blogging, and I always find it interesting. I wonder about the people who hold this view, as it always seems to have an undertone of jealousy or a feeling of being threatened in some way.

Great post!

11:37 AM  
Blogger OvaGirl said...

But the fact that blogging is being lambasted on an international comic strip says something about just how big it is...

7:27 PM  
Blogger Lin said...

I haven't been at this blogging game for too terribly long, but I do know that for every interesting, compelling read, there are a dozen that don't have much more content than the average soap opera.

I wonder if Gary Trudeau has a blog? hmmmmmmmm

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home