Friday, September 02, 2005

Bush Admits Relief Efforts Not Enough, Trent Lott Seems to Disagree and The Mayor of New Orleans Lets Them Know Just What He Thinks

Just saw an interview on CNN with Trent Lott. Apparently his publicist didn't tell him what the President said because he rates the federal reponse to this disaster as good. What a moron. More importantly, though, here's an excerpt from an interview today with Mayor Ray Nagin...

"
The constant pictures on tv are making my blood boil. How is it that we can stage 100,000 troops across the globe ready to pounce on a moment's notice to take over an entire country, yet we couldn't figure out how to put the resources in place to respond to an obvious disaster in the waiting in our own backyard?

Congress had no trouble cancelling vacations to come back to pass special unconstitutional) legislation to "save" the "life" of a brain-dead woman (Teri Schiavo), but only a few Congressmen could be bothered to appear in Congress to vote for the appropriations bill to start funneling some money to the Gulf states? (It was done by voice vote.) Every last one of the those stinking politicians should be rattling the cages of their sleeping public servants and figuring out what they can do to help immediately. I am no fan of Texas (and my wife is from Houston), but I honestly have been impressed with the Texas response. But where's everyone else? Lots of individual institutions are kicking in to help, but there surely are more resources that can be brought to bear. I keep seeing fires breaking out on tv, and I can't figure out why there aren't airplanes and helicopters coming in to address these issues. (I've surely seen forest fires fought from the air.)"

I know there's more to the speech, but I just can't find it.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lott sees the disaster relief efforts as a sucess since the wealthy white folks in his neighborhood are getting help. Meanwhile back in the real world the real reason that the National Guard was sent in today was to secure unrest in advanced of president dopshit's photo op. If I ever see that guy with his arm around someone telling them to go to another shelter that's been wiped out I just might puke.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Mark Gamon said...

Good for Texas. I always figured they were better than the Bush family made them.

2:15 AM  
Blogger BPDubs said...

You can find the transcript to the Ray Nagin interview here, if you haven't already found it.

I've been reading tons of blogs the past few days, and I'm getting a little pissed at people who are defending Bush and instead calling out the mayor of NOLA and the governor of LA. The federal government wields way more power, than state and local governments, and would have been the only ones to organize a full-scale evacuation prior to the storm. To think that the mayor could have done that -- which I'm sure he wanted to -- is just ludicrous.

As a side note, my nature center was the first to submit an application to the good people at FEMA (the good people who apparently who don't watch the news) for aid post-Hurricane Charley last August. Do you know when FEMA followed up on our aid request? YESTERDAY. I know we were near the bottom of the priority list, but, come on.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Lin said...

Thanks for the link, bpw and your comments, Mark and j.t.

What a mess, huh?

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pray that you can open your eyes a little more and realize that the media feeds on the bad and not the good. I have been fortunate enough to see both the good thing happening and the bad. Makes me sad yes, but I've kept my mind open. And your blame of My President Bush has been made out of emotion instead of looking at all of the story, just like the other opinions that I have read which share your view.

6:59 AM  
Blogger Lin said...

Dear Anonymous,
If you are forgiving of your president and his administration and their abysmal handling of this situation, then no doubt you would be content to live anywhere in this wide world where bumbling idiots run the show. Face facts, this man doesn't have a clue how to respond to anything until someone tells him what to do. And we're the only superpower in this world? Laughable, completely laughable.

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home