Friday, October 20, 2006

Stone Soup

Sometimes I’m all about “fuck the expense” and then at other times I’m all about “what’s wrong with that rutabaga, don’t throw it out, we can save it and eat it when we have no money left.” That’s sort of how I’m feeling just about now. While mon mari is busier than ever with work, ka-ching, I’m out there lunching with the ladies and making appointments for hair cuts and highlighting (is that the same as a weave cos that’s what the girl at Aveda called it and it didn’t sound quite right to me) and buying clothes for our trip. Our trip. I guess that’s what’s making me feel like I should be watching the leftover rutagbagas. And so tonight, because I’m in a waste not want not mood, tonight we’re having our very last meal out of the organic chicken I roasted last Sunday for Buzz, Susan, Himself et moi. I’m sure we’re well beyond the eat-by date, but listen to this: It fed four on Sunday, two on Monday (leftover roast chicken dinner and then I boiled the carcass for guess what), two on Tuesday (soup), Himself had soup for lunch today and tonight…well, tonight is leftover soup with more veggies added and because I can be such a cheap heifer, smoked turkey kielbasa.

And back to the trip. I guess if I hadn’t gone to England for three weeks (BY MYSELF which might I add is fun) when the exchange rate was as close to $2 to the £ as it’s been in forever and then up to Mammoth for a break (all of this in the last seven weeks), I wouldn’t be concerned about finishing the rutabagas before we head westwards next Saturday to NZ and Oz for three weeks.

But I do have some good news. Kellogg's is doing a photo shoot here on Tuesday AND we’ve got at least another couple of meals out of that pot of Stone Soup.

4 Comments:

Blogger gwendomama said...

wow - not sure about week old chicken soup; i'm a little more squeamish that way than others. i don't do well with day-old leftovers!
but i'll come eat cornflakes in your kitchen!
good on ya! i do want to hear all about the trip. please take pictures of interesting and/or different food and candy that you eat and see. it's a personal interest. but you travel further than i do!!

10:42 PM  
Blogger junebee said...

I'm the same way with food! And my husband HATES to throw out food, so I have to clean out the fridge when he's not home.

Have a great trip!

5:54 PM  
Blogger granny p said...

Soup OK if well boiled. Hate to throw things away - was a wat/rationing baby, it sticks. We've been eating our very own cockerel, how's that for economy. Oh - and have a wonderful trip. Will you visit Ovagirl?

4:28 AM  
Blogger granny p said...

Soup OK if well boiled. Hate to throw things away - was a wat/rationing baby, it sticks. We've been eating our very own cockerel, how's that for economy. Oh - and have a wonderful trip. Will you visit Ovagirl?

4:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home