Thursday, November 06, 2008

Prop 8...My Response to all of you who voted Yes on 8

Tuesday was a great day for most Americans, but amid all the sweetness and joy there was one very sour, mean-spirited, selfish, exclusionary proposition on the California ballot...Prop 8. It read as follows...

Proposition 8 is a California State ballot proposition that would amend the state Constitution, to limit marriage to unions between a man and a woman, overturning a recent California Supreme Court decision that had recognized same-sex marriage in California as a fundamental right. The official ballot title language for Proposition 8 was "Eliminates Right of Same-Sex Couples to Marry". On the day after the election, the results remained uncertified. With 100% of precincts reporting, the vote was 52.5% in favor of Proposition 8 and 47.5% against, with a difference of about 504,000 votes;[1] as many as 3 million absentee and provisional ballots remain to be counted.[2] The organizers of the "No on Prop 8" campaign conceded defeat on November 6, issuing a statement saying, "Tuesday’s vote was deeply disappointing to all who believe in equal treatment under the law".[3]

And it passed. There were enough mean-spirited, homophobic bigots in this state to pass it. I'm still reeling. But, Jeni had an answer for them.

And then so did Gwendolyn...and then Gwendolyn tagged me to show my disappointment, which I've done. Not nearly so youngly or prettily, but in the designated style.










And I took even more...just trying to take that perfect picture where the bags under my eyes and the wrinkles in my exposed chesty area aren't so glaring. But oh well...i yam what i yam.

And I'm going to tag eight more of you...Let's get this thing rolling, all over the world. And don't forget to pass it on.

Betsy (in Portland)
Sarah (in the O.C.)
Marsha (in the Valley)
Vanessa (down under)
Penelope (in Lanzarote)
Antonia (in London)
Lucy (in Portugal)
Maryanne (in Tokyo)

7 Comments:

Blogger gwendomama said...

YOU FUCKING RAWK.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Bette said...

Hot damn. It's a weird time -chickens get respect via Prop 2(and I love me some chickens), but there are still humans who are being denied basic rights. It's incomprehensible.

11:07 AM  
Blogger sweatpantsmom said...

You're awesome, lady.

I'll try and get mine up this afternoon. (My finger, and the picture.)

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sign the petition to repeal prop 8 (already almost 95,000 strong):

http://www.couragecampaign.org/page/s/repealprop8

9:44 PM  
Blogger Lucy P said...

ha! i only just saw this.... will join in asap. ... i wonder if there's a middle finger smiley?

2:15 AM  
Blogger Lin said...

Lucy, maybe the middle finger smiley is the g-rated thumbs down?!

6:50 AM  
Blogger OvaGirl said...

Lin.. long dull tale but I have only just started to catch up on blogs, have only just seen this, I'm sorry I feel I have let the team down...

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home