Monday, July 17, 2006

BlogMe, Why Doncha

BlogMe

I'm just quoting Donna over at SoCal Mom and I'm late to the party as well. So, like Donna, I'm just gonna answer these questions but preface my answers with her words.

"While BlogHer doesn't officially start for another 11 days, several of the BlogHers (led by Mocha Momma) are too excited to wait. So she's organized an online meetup of BlogHers worldwide -- you don't even have to be planning to be in San Jose next week to participate (after all, there will be plenty of people attending BlogHer virtually, through the live blogging accounts and audio blogging podcasts of the sessions).

Mocha Momma's plan involved folks interviewing each other -- but as I'm late to the party (should have been done by last night and I did not find out about this until I pulled in my email this morning), I'm just going to answer the questions and do the links myself -- but I invite you all to do the same (kind of like tagging all my visitors to participate in an organized meme!) If you do, please add the BlogMe graphic and link to your site and send me your link so we can all get to know each other better!"

BLOG ME SELF-INTERVIEW (See the complete list of questions here.)

When did you start blogging and why? Or Talk about your blog. What can I learn about you in under 5 minutes?

I started blogging about 18 months ago after reading the NY Times article about Mommy Bloggers. Pitifully, before that time I knew little about blogs. I knew they were web logs but didn't truly understood how widespread they were. The only ones I knew how to find were political in nature...until that article. While my kids are grown and my blog is more a granny blog than mommy blog, I was comfortable with the honesty of the younger women and quickly starting reading them daily. Within a week I had my own blog.

How do you use blogging to build friendships?

Certainly it's easy to feel a comfort level with other women through reading their words and this ease makes real-time meetings much easier. It's as though you've already got the "where do you live, how many kids do you have, do you work, are you married" stuff out of the way, clearing the path for much more in-depth fun.

How would you describe your writing style?

Casual, sometimes like a diary and other times a bit more formal. Depends largely upon what I'm writing.

How do you feel about meeting bloggers in real life? Are you nervous? Will you have great expectations? What do you home to take away from the BlogHer experience?

I really am looking forward to meeting a lot of the women whose words I read with regularity. I don't feel nervous about meeting these women, but I do wonder whether or not they'll want to chat to me. I'm the age of most of their mothers. But then I think, hell, my daughter likes talking to me and she's cool. I look forward to becoming more technologically savvy, both in digital photography and in blog formatting, but I also look forward to absorbing some of the wonderful emotional energy of all the younger women.

So soon we’re going to meet each other at BlogHer. Important question. How do you party?

Not nearly as enthusiastically pr loudly as I did 20 years ago, but still with some staying power.

3 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

I love your self-interview, Lin -- and can't wait to meet you live and in person next week. Thanks for playing!

1:37 PM  
Blogger junebee said...

People would be so bored by my answers to this! I wouldn't inflict that on others! Have a good time at the conference.

5:31 PM  
Blogger granny p said...

wish I could be there too.. xx Speaking as another wrinkly...

7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home