Thursday, February 07, 2008

Moving Day

Last night we met Lee and Betsy for dinner. They were exhausted but buzzed with that adrenalin level we pull out of our cores when needed. Last night was fun and not nearly as bitter sweet as I'd almost dreaded. I didn't want to sit opposite them tearing up and choking over my food. The conversation and food were good and Lee and Betsy loved their dirty martinis.

When we moved to California year-round, six years ago, L&B were headed to Italy with their two girls on holiday days after we arrived. Late in the day after out movers had schlepped load after load up our driveway and then up the stairs to the house, L&B and their two beautiful girls, Mercedes and Loulou arrived bearing wine, cheese, bread, good olives and friendship. And then two days later, never mind that they had a house to organize and animals to take to caregivers, they had a party for us to honor our arrival. We were introduced to their inner circle of friends and felt an immediate connection to our new home. Last night as we sat across from them, laughing and so very comfortable, I regretted that I couldn't greet them in Portland and offer them the very same. Good wine, friendship and a sense of immediate belonging.

See you soon, good friends.

2 Comments:

Blogger OvaGirl said...

What a wonderful beginning to a beautiful friendship which doesn't end, even while your journeys lie apart for a while.

Lin...I am awarding you an award for excellence just because I can, come see my blog and then spread the jolliness to others.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Daisy Martin said...

Wow, what nice people. I wish someone would greet us with cheese, bread, good olives and especially wine, when we move to Maryland from indy at the end of this month. We'll most likely be greeted with a rock salt loaded shotgun as they don't like "outsiders" on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Just my luck.

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home