Sunday, June 11, 2006

Atlanta

Dear Linda, it began, I can't believe I am writing the following words because I can't say them out loud. Eileen has Stage IV non-hodgkins lymphoma. I can’t talk now. Just write to me. Tell me my child is going to be okay. Tell me this isn’t happening. I wanted to call New York and assure Ann that all would be fine. Instead, I immediately went into the bowels of the internet and discovered more than I ever wanted to know about what would become Eileen's battle. She can beat this, I said over and over to myself and wrote to Ann. She can beat this.

That was 2½ years ago. Last weekend, we went to Eileen’s wedding, in Georgia where her family, all her ultimate Frisbee friends, the ultimate Frisbee team she coaches at the University of Georgia and old family friends gathered to celebrate the life, the happiness and the very positive future of this lovely, healthy and beautifully quirky, brilliant young woman. You know, brilliant in that way you just can't understand. Eileen has taught high school math for six or seven years and this August, she begins her PhD studies in math.

Eileen and her Pa. When you have more than just the day to celebrate, the indescribable joy is never far from the 'what-might-have-been' emotion. Until we all got goofy with the happiness of it all, there were a lot of sniffs and rooting around in pockets and purses for tissues.

More to follow, but my Charter connection is acting ugly. I'll save this and post before I get knocked offline.

2 Comments:

Blogger junebee said...

I am glad Eileen has triumphed. Her wedding must have been extra-special.

The Citizen got his Masters at UGA. My brother loves ultimate frisbee. I am not sure how it differs from regular frisbee but my brother sure loves it.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

Here via Granny p and this post has cheered me up. Thanks.

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home