Monday, April 28, 2008

Lulls in the Conversation

This is the only time I'll write about this here, but I've been quieter than normal mainly because I haven't known quite what to say. Betsy, who I love as much as it's possible to love a friend (in other words fiercely and with total acceptance) has been diagnosed with lung cancer. For the last two weeks I feel as though I've been pushing my way through a fog; brief and bright openings at times only to have it close in abruptly and without warning at other points in the day. Sleep was elusive for that first week. All I could think about was Betsy. They'd moved in February, far away from their Monte Nido home and many friends, pursuing adventures and lifestyle changes further north. And then. This. So while it's been tough for me and all who love Betsy (and there are many of us) I know from personal experience how other-worldly and difficult this has been for her.

But in the last few days, I have had this injection of confidence about Betsy's future. It's not just a positive feeling, it is something deep in my soul. I know she will be going through some very rough days, but I also have a very strong feeling that Betsy will be fine. It will not be easy, but she is going to be fine. Don't ask me how I know this, but I just do.

We're going up to see them in a couple of weeks and I can't wait.

7 Comments:

Blogger OvaGirl said...

I'm so sorry. My thoughts are with you and your dear friend. I think it's great that you're getting such positive vibes for her. And I also think that Betsy's lucky to have your strength and determination there to support her. Hang in there Lin.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Daisy Martin said...

How very sad. My thoughts and prayers are with Betsy. They've made such remarkable strides with cancer in our lifetime. we are so much more fortunate than our forefathers. I'm a big believer in that "gut instinct" and if you think she is going to be fine I am sure she will be.

10:33 AM  
Blogger granny p said...

Lin you know where I'm from here. I love your confidence. Keep it. Meantime I'm sorry you're facing this. Oh god, age, how it makes us suffer. xx

11:14 AM  
Blogger gwendomama said...

Ohmy I have been thinking about you and about Betsy so much these past few weeks.

We are headed to socal next week. not really near you or i would foist my family upon you uninvited on mofo day.
lucky you.


thanks for coming back to the internets.

12:21 PM  
Blogger www.retiredandcrazy.com said...

With all the advances in cancer treatment it's still terrifying isn't it. As you know, my husband has a particularly vicious form of cancer. "Luckily?!" (I say this in inverted commers because it took us much pain and heartache to get there) we have been in a "one day at a time" programme for 35 years. Without the help of our family, friends and our programme we would just crumble, but as things are we take the most from each day and the enjoyment we can get from it.

1:28 AM  
Blogger www.retiredandcrazy.com said...

Swearing Mother I should tell you about his cars. He sold a one year old Maserati at a huge loss because he didn't like the lights. Now he is talking about selling his Audi S6 to buy a second hand Maserati that he can have "done up". He doesn't know the first the first thing about cars apart from how fast they go. Now do you understand why I tune him out?

1:34 AM  
Blogger www.retiredandcrazy.com said...

Sorry, DottyNana, I meant to answer a comment on my own blog.

1:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home