Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Look What Came A'knocking on my Front Door Tonight

It's a Ceanothus Silk Moth and he's got a FIVE INCH wing span. A regular visitor to the canyons in the Spring, the males pretty much go crazy looking for the girlie moths who send powerful sexual stimulants stimuli?) into the air. Occasionally distracted by bright porch lights [sorry, dude], their lifespan is short and once mating is completed, that's it. I can't wait to see one in larva form where they're described as resembling 4" long fat, powdery green sausages set with yellow and blue tubercles.

This pictures is taken indoors looking out to the front porch.


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to check out this - I just linked to it from my blog today and it is TOO PERFECT with your post:

Jerry Strikes Back

Although you might not like how it ends.

(thanks for visiting my blog!)

12:33 AM  
Blogger junebee said...

I saw some moths at a butterfly garden in Miami and they were as big as dinner plates. I definitely don't dig bugs that big.

Great pictures, I can't imagine even trying to photograph a butterfly or moth.

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweatpantsmom, thank you SO MUCH for introducing me to It's Jerry Time! Hahahahaha! Whoo... [Wiping tears from my eyes.]

8:21 AM  
Blogger Krisco said...

Ummmmmmm - Gross! :)

9:47 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Neat looking moth.

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home